Monday, October 31, 2011

Catch up

The last few days have been packed, productive and insightful. In part with the chilling weather and moving a mile a minute, I'm running a bit of a fever. Although, it gives me the time to slow down, get hydrated properly, clean my studio and update my blog! So yesterday was exciting. I went to fiac! at the Grand Palais. The previous exhibits at the Grand Palais have always had a pretty nasty queue and expensive tickets and this was no different however, I never leave disappointed. The show takes place once a year in Paris. Some of the top art galleries in the world have gallery-booths with pieces from their collection. There is representation from Shanghai, Paris, London, New York, Los Angeles, Milan. The list goes on and on. There were pieces by Christain Boltanski, Louise Bourgeois (recent from 2004!), Georg Herold, Sigalit Landau, Dieter Roth, Boetti Alighiero, Wener Haypeter. Phew! what a treat.

I went to the Centre Pompidou for the French retrospective dedicated to the Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama. She is most known for developing the polka dot motif. I was specifically interested in her works from the 1950s entitled "infinity nets". While so much of her works are graphic, and super-saturated with contrasting palettes, the monochrome works lyrically unearthen repeticious and round moments of under-painting. They feel like stars: gestural brushwork cacooning each moment in the dense space around it. These works specifically, made me consider what the 2 dimension counterpart to my sculpture works might look like. I believe that when I return to St Louis, and set up studio (I am double crossing my fingers for the Luminary Residency. I think my work would operate visually and conceptually well in their chapel installation space) that I will be painting again too.

The big news for the day: I will be part of a group show in Noyers! Bryan and I will be going together in late November to La Porte Peinte. I will be doing the piece and Bryan  will be assisting with restoration of the Medieval building that houses the residency. (http://www.laportepeinte.com/) I am going to first install the piece in my studio, probably have an open studio when the piece is finished, and then re-install the work in Noyers. I have a few other meetings with gallerists and a dealer in the next couple weeks so I need to have some work to share with them. I am going to be venturing back into the fabric district today to get a few pieces of material to take to the pleating studio. More bright transparent yellow poly and possibly a wool blend suiting, similar to the work I did for the fashion show in May.















No comments:

Post a Comment